At the end of the tutorial, Ser Manuel will fight the player as a final test, similar to the tutorial's end in Enter the Gungeon.
Ser Manuel's attacks are very basic and easy to avoid, but still a bit challenging.
- Fires a ring of 16 bullets outwards.
- Moves to another floor of the room.
- Slowly moves towards the player dealing damage upon contact.
In the tutorial you can unlock three hats:
- The Trier by playing through the Tutorial.
- The Rookie by finishing the Tutorial.
- The Villain by disobeying Ser Manuel in the Tutorial.
- Oh. Hello again. Shouldn't you be... gone? This place is unstable, you know. See. Unstable.
- She sent you over here didn't she? *siiiggh*
- You need a refresher on how to master the Gungeon? From I... SER MANUEL?
- <No (Skip Tutorial)>
- Oh boy. Here we go. Let's do this thing.
- Let's adjourn to the Halls of Knowledge!
- Wayward soul! Approach me and press (interact button) to Speak!
- Very good! Excellent interacting. Welcome to the Halls of Knowledge! (After interacting with Ser Manuel for the first time in the tutorial).
- Here, don the Hat of the Pupil. Let's begin! (Equips the player with The Trier hat)
- Due to the carelessness of regretful souls wantonly firing a weapon that rips through time and space... the Gungeon is crumbling.
- To reach the exit in time, you must ascend via the Tinker's network of makeshift elevators.
- I've instructed my assistant to set-dress the Halls of Knowledge to approximate what your environment will be as you race to the top.
- The first and most important thing to master is the Dodge Roll.
- Observe my assistant. (The Cultist dressed as a bullet kin will demonstrate the Dodge Roll)
- To Dodge Roll, press the (dodge button), while moving Left or Right. Try it now.
- Can't figure it out? That's ok, I'll remind you. (Interacting with Ser Manuel before performing a dodge roll. Is followed by a re-explanation of the technique.)
- Perfect Dodge Rolling! Now, do it a few more times! (Upon completing a dodge roll)
- That's enough.
- Ready to move on?
- <Yeah, let's continue>
- <Actually, let me try one more time> (Allows the player a chance to do a few more dodge rolls but does not unlock unique dialogue)
- Because your Dodge Rolling skills are so excellent...
- There is one other thing I would like you to try.
- Legends tell of an ancient Gungeoneer who ascended when he Dodge Rolled.
- It is referred to as the... Ascending Dodge Roll.
- The scriptures say that to perform this fabled technique you must... Press (Dodge Up Button).
- No, that's a normal Dodge Roll. (Performing a regular Dodge at this point)
- Yes! (Performing your first Ascending Dodge Roll)
- Dear Kaliber, the height! (Performing your second Ascending Dodge and standing on the upper platform)
- You've mounted that precipice!
- You can also Dodge Roll while you are in the air by pressing (Dodge Button) or (Dodge Up Button) again before you land.
- You should try it when you get the chance.
- But how will you get down?
- Try... Dodge Rolling!
- No, that didn't work... hmm... (Upon performing another roll as instructed)
- Try... another Ascending Dodge Roll! Perhaps if you go high enough you'll eventually... wrap around and reach me again.
- Now you're even higher! (Upon performing another ascending roll as instructed)
- What you really need is some kind of... Descending Dodge Roll.
- I have an idea! Hold (Down button) and press (Dodge Up Button).
- Oh, you're still going... (Performing another ascending roll)
- You should come down now. (Performing yet another ascending roll)
- Hey, since you went all the way up there. Can you grab that FLYING DISC? (Using ascending rolls to reach the top of the room)
- Welcome back! (Using Descending Rolls to return from the upper area of the room)
- Surely I must be the first to have discovered this powerful technique...
- Excellent! (Returning to Ser Manuel)
- Now that you are well versed in all three types of Dodge Rolls, we can put them to use.
- When you Dodge Roll, you are invulnerable until you hit the ground.
- This means you can Dodge Roll through Bullets. And, in the Gungeon, Bullets will be flying everywhere.
- On my command, the walls will begin to fire Bullets.
- To survive, you must time your Dodge Roll so that the Bullets pass you while you are in the air.
- As long as you are in the air, you are invulnerable.
- The easiest way to time it is to roll towards the Bullets, not away from them.
- It can be counterintuitive, I know. I assure you however that this is a battle tested technique.
- Ready... Go!
- Oh, you've been hit! Don't worry, the Bullets in the Halls of Knowledge are non-lethal. In the Gungeon however, you can only take a few hits before you're dead. Try again! (Taking damage)
- Oh boy, you've been hit X times now. (Taking damage)
- X hits... that's not great. (Taking damage)
- X Hits. (Taking damage)
- That's X hits... in the Gungeon, you would now be dead. (Taking your sixth hit or more.)
- That was a little late. (Taking damage from walking into the bullets.)
- To early! (Taking damage from rolling into the bullets)
- Remember, Dodge Roll just before the Bullets would hit you. (Interacting with Ser Manuel)
- Excellent! (Successful dodge)
- Do it again! (Successful dodge)
- One more time! (Successful dodge)
- Ser Manuel's name, along with his in-game function, is likely a pun on "User Manual", or an instruction booklet.