|Location:||Keep of the Lead Lord|
Black Powder Mine
Abbey of the True Gun
|Hand Seeking Gun|
|This strange creatures possesses a small fraction of the Gungeon's mysterious time manipulation abilities.
Any Gungeoneer that falls into its grasp will have a small amount of their recent past undone.
The Gripmaster hovers over the player. After a while, it will attempt to grab the player. If the player is successfully grabbed, it will shoot the player to a previously cleared room, which will be reset and have all enemies respawned. It automatically dies if all other enemies in the room are killed. Gripmasters deal no damage, even if jammed.
Gripmasters also have a small chance to pull out a pistol and shoot in all directions. When this happens, Gripmasters need to be killed normally to clear the room.
Gripmasters don't appear in any specific layouts, instead having a low chance of replacing a random enemy, usually the strongest one in the room, on any floor similar to Confirmed. If the player is successfully grabbed and shot out of the room, the Gripmaster won't reappear if the player re-enters the room it was in.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Getting grabbed by a Gripmaster unlocks Daruma.
- Much like the Tarnisher, the Gripmaster will flash blue just prior to grabbing. The player will need to dodge roll as soon as it does in order to avoid being grabbed.
- The Ammonomicon entry can only be unlocked by clearing the room without the Gripmaster grabbing the player.
- Shells dropped by enemies that are killed before the Gripmaster grabs the player and resets the room will remain until the player's next visit.
- It might be beneficial to kill all enemies except one and then intentionally let the Gripmaster grab the player, allowing the enemies in the room to be killed multiple times for more shells.
- After unsuccessfully trying to grab the player 3 times, the Gripmaster will vanish, regardless whether the room is cleared or not.
- If any Chance Kin or Keybullet Kin spawn, getting grabbed by the Gripmaster will despawn them.
- There is a small chance for multiple Gripmasters to appear in a single room.
- There is a bug where if a Gripmaster is dazed (e.g. by using Table Tech Stun) and the last enemy in the room gets defeated while it is dazed, it will persist until the player clears another room or gets caught.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Gripmaster is a reference to the Wallmaster from the Legend of Zelda series.
- The name may also be a reference to the Gripmaster series of hand exercise tools used by some competition shooters.
- The sprites for the Gripmaster with a pistol refer to it as the 'Shootmaster'.
- The internal game stat that tracks how many times a player has been caught by a Gripmaster is called 'TIMES_HIT_WITH_THE_GRIPPY'.