Curse is a hidden stat that influences various elements of a Gungeon run. Curse is tracked separately for each character if playing in co-op.
Cursed enemies (and their attacks) are referred to as "Jammed", and take on a glowing red and black color.
Effects of Curse[edit | edit source]
- Jammed enemies start appearing and become more common with each point of curse.
- Jammed enemies drop more .
- Jammed enemies deal 1 full heart of damage, move and shoot 50% faster, have their cooldowns reduced by 33%, deal contact damage if they didn't already, and have increased health equal to
health * 3.5 + 10.
- Keybullet Kin and Chance Kin can be jammed and upon killing will drop two items.
- Jammed enemies have a maximum health of
175 * X, where X is the floor's health scaling multiplier.
- Veteran enemies, such as Veteran Bullet Kin, Veteran Shotgun Kin, Blue Bookllet, and Green Bookllet become more common with higher Curse.
- Jammed bosses can appear, which behave like regular bosses but deal a full heart of damage with every attack and have their health modified by the formula
health * 1.2 + 100.
- The chance to receive a reward upon clearing a room decreases with each point of curse, similar to how Coolness increases said chance.
- The chance to receive ammo upon clearing a room increases with each point of curse.
- The chance of a chest becoming a Mimic increases by 2.1% for each point of curse.
- The chance of a chest having a fuse when discovered increases by 5% for each point of curse.
- Players become able to enter the Demon Face without the need to hold 100 coins if they are cursed at least once.
- Lord of the Jammed spawns when the player reaches 10 curse. It cannot be killed, and continually chases the player.
|Curse||Jammed Chance||Chest Chance||Drop Chance||Cleanse Shrine Text|
|0||0%||0%||2.25%||Unchanged||Unchanged||Unchanged||The spectres don't disturb you.|
|3||2%||0%||8.55%||+15%||-3%||x1.15||You are touched by darkness.|
|5||5%||0%||12.75%||+25%||-5%||x1.25||You are wreathed in darkness.|
|7||10%||20%||16.95%||+35%||-7%||x1.35||Tarry not. They come for you.|
|10||50%||50%||23.25%||+50%||-10%||x1.50||No one can help you.|
Past 10 curse, the odds of enemies and bosses being jammed stays at 50%, but other effects continue to increase linearly.
Increasing Curse[edit | edit source]
Curse can be increased by:
- Carrying the following items:
- Carrying the following guns:
- Praying at the following Shrines:
- Ammo Shrine (+3.5)
- Angel Shrine (+1.5)
- Dice Shrine granting Cursed (+5)
- Hero Shrine (sets curse to 9 regardless of other curse)
- Purchasing anything from Cursula. (+2.5 along with any curse the purchased item has)
- Giving a gun to the Witches. (+2)
- Smashing a Mirror or opening its chest. (+3.5)
- Stealing from a Shop. (+1)
- Getting Badge, then talking to the police officer when he dies. (+2)
- Using Spice. (+0.5 on the first use, +1 for each subsequent use)
- Transforming into Cormorant. (+3)
- Picking up an item/gun produced by Lament Configurum. (+1)
- Standing near a cursed pot inflicts an increasing amount of the unique "Curse" Status Effect, and after reaching a certain threshold will increase the player's curse stat while breaking the pot. (+1 per pot).
Decreasing Curse[edit | edit source]
Curse can be decreased by:
- Dropping any cursed item/gun.
- Praying at the following Shrines:
- Cleanse Shrine (sets curse to 0)
- Dice Shrine granting Cleansed (removes up to 10 curse)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Stealing from Cursula will only increase curse by 1.
- Curse carries over to the Past.
- In a few room layouts in the Abbey of the True Gun, Resourceful Rat's Lair, Forge, and Bullet Hell, certain enemies are guaranteed to be jammed regardless of curse.
- Even enemies that are normally completely harmless, such as chickens, popcorn (the small enemies sometimes left after defeating Poopulons) and the tiny blobulin spawned after killing Blobulord, can be jammed and will deal contact damage if jammed.
- At the above-mentioned rates:
- All chests will have fuses at 20 curse.
- All chests will be Mimics at 47 curse.
- The player will receive no rewards for clearing rooms at 100 curse.
- Although it is easy to make the connection, coolness and curse are not related in any way (unless the player has the Sixth Chamber), nor do they cancel one another out.
- It is possible to have negative values of curse by dropping a cursed item after using the Cleanse shrine.