Brother Albern is an NPC that rarely appears in secret rooms, and always appears in a secret room in the Abbey of the True Gun. He asks the player a question, and regardless of their answer, he rewards the player by allowing them to open his chest, which contains 1-2 pickups or guns/items of random quality. If the player destroys his chest, it has a chance to drop Lies.
- "I am Brother Albern, Knower of Several Truths."
- "If thou seek'st to open mine Truth Chest, then ponder mine question thusly..."
Questions and responses:
- "What is thine favourite colour?"
- "What is Gunpowder made of?"
- Sulfur, Charcoal, and Potassium-Nitrate.
- Magic Beans.
- "LASER is an acronym."
- "What did thou eat for breakfast?"
- Punks like you.
- "Dost thou feel lucky?"
- "What number am I thinking of?"
- "What number are you thinking of?"
- "How many fingers am I holding up?"
- All of them.
- "From whence do bullets come from?"
- A night of hot swaging.
- The great forge in the sky.
- "Hast thou ever spoken an untruth?"
- Only once.
Answering his question:
- "Verily, it must be so! Receive thy reward, O truthful hero!"
Destroying the chest or shooting it with the AKEY-47:
- "Betrayal! It can't be true!"
- Destroying his chest has a chance to drop Ser Junkan or Gold Junk instead of Lies.
- It is possible for him to appear twice in the Abbey of the True Gun, once through the guaranteed secret room and once through a random secret room.
- The chest still cannot be opened in Rainbow mode
- "Albern" is German and means "silly".
- "What is thine favourite colour?" is likely a reference to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."
- "Dost thou feel lucky?" is likely in reference to the common misquotation "Do you feel lucky, punk?" from the film Dirty Harry.
- Swaging is a forging process in which the dimensions of an object are altered via forcing it into a group of mechanisms called 'dies', which open and close extremely quickly, warping the object into a different (typically smaller) form.
- It is possible to open his chest with the Drill active item. While the lock will fall off, the chest itself cannot be opened unless the player initiates the normal conversation. Afterwards it will then be able to be opened normally.